Saturday, October 13, 2012

Show - Work in Progress #3

This is the third post in a series on the process of creating a site responsive exhibition Show at the Copley Street School of Architecture for There, There, a photographic event curated by Stag & Deer in Cork later in October. You can see the other posts in the series here and here.


Sketchbook Page showing Work in Progress, © Roseanne Lynch 2012

My next step was to find a printer who I could work with to get the size of the prints I needed. I visited Uptime Printing in Bandon and we discussed different types of papers. I want the images to be a part of the building so rather than having them framed and detached from the wall I want them to be stuck directly to the structure. This led me to look at both glossy and matt self adhesive vinyls.

I returned to the space with a 2 test strips and a cheap photocopy of the full image that I made to test the final size in the space. I immediately saw that the images have a presence in the space at that size and that 2 large images  would work better than the 3 smaller images I had originally envisioned. I decided that although the blacks were deeper in the glossy test strip the reflections and shine were too distracting from the photo itself and I much preferred the matt test strip.

I gave the printers the go ahead to print. Now I wait. There is nothing more I can do for the moment. I'm finding this frustrating as I usually make my own prints  and so I'm not used to giving away control. This time there is no way for me to know for sure if this will work until I get the final prints.

Show will open Saturday 20th October at 3pm in the ground floor of the School of Architecture on Copley Street, Cork.

2 comments: